Saturday, September 26, 2009

Switching Antibiotics at the ER

9.5.09 In the ER they consulted with my doctors and decided to try me on Cefepime and Vancomycin. Both were administered through my PICC line. I did fine with the Cefepime and then had a problem with the Vancomycin. The Vancomycin was a 2 hour infusion. Towards the end of the infusion I felt my scalp suddenly start to itch. Then my face and neck turned tomato red and my blood pressure and temperature rose to 99.3. I was having a reaction known as "Red Mans Syndrome". I was given two Benadryl's and admitted to the hospital yet again. I was on a schedule of the Vanco every 12 hours and the cefepime every 8 hours. They monitored me in the hospital while continuing to give me both antibiotics and of course benadryl before my Vanco infusion. It was agreed that I was tolerating the Vanco well enough with the benadryl. So I was discharged on Labor day and went back to my sisters with instructions to continue the antibiotics.

No comments:

Post a Comment