Saturday, September 26, 2009

2nd Craniotomy

8.28.09 This surgery was much shorter and much less invasive. They washed-out all the pus and took many cultures. After the surgery I was rolled to my room in NICU. There I was quite comfortable until they decided for some INSANE reason to stop giving me morphine, put me on Tylenol with Codeine, and move me a step down to another area in the hospital, all less than 24 hours from surgery. This sucked! Without the morphine my pain was so intolerable that I could only cry. To top it off I had incredible nausea. Everytime the nurses came in I would ask them for Morphine and they would say, "the doctor has changed the orders to tylenol with codeine, sorry." I was glad when my BFF Barbara showed up because she threw a fit when she saw me in that condition. She demanded the nurses contact my doctor and have him order morphine for me. Thats exactly what they did. I was ultimately given morphine and immediately felt relief. I was so exhausted from the pain, tears and grief that I fell asleep. I can't tell you how relieved I was. Bottom line, the doc took me off of the morphine way too soon. It is good to have an advocate in the hospital.

No infections grew on the cultures so that was good as MRSA was a suspect culprit. They decided to blast me with antibiotics anyway just to be extra cautious and it would be for a duration of 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment